Sunday, September 18, 2011

E.J. Infanger Memorial Run-The Heart of Life is Good

This spring, after E.J. passed away, we decided that we needed something to look forward to this year. After we found out about his health problems (heart disease) that we hadn't known before the autopsy, I wanted my family to also get heart healthy.

So we decided to try to do the Salmon Half Marathon, which happened to fall about 2 weeks before E.J.'s birthday. I loved this idea because E.J., who is the oldest, and Erica, who is the youngest, share the same birthday. Erica has been dreading her birthday this year because she thinks it will be a depressing day for everyone. We thought if we made the marathon weekend a memorial weekend for E.J. we could focus on Erica on their birthday.

My mom and I designed and ordered shirts, but we really didn't know how many people would show up. After all, Salmon is a long way from anywhere, and it takes a lot of work to prepare to run 13.1 miles.

We themed the weekend, "The Heart of Life is Good". I heard this on a song on E.J.'s life video, and I thought it was perfect for the weekend. This has been an incredibly challenging time for my entire family, but there are still good things in life, and our Heavenly Father is still in charge, and that is so comforting.

We had about 50 people show up for the memorial, including E.J.'s wife and boys, my brother Craig, who lives in California, family and friends from all over Montana, Utah and Idaho. 15 people ran the half marathon, 1 ran the full marathon, and my mom also put on a family 5k for people who didn't want to do the half marathon. We had a dinner and spent time together on Friday the 9th (exactly 5 months from the time E.J. passed away), and the next morning we all got up, cheered each other on, and we finished something that I have always wanted to do.

I miss my brother more than words can describe, but it was such a healing weekend for my family. I couldn't help but think E.J. was watching over us, and maybe even cheering us through those 13.1 miles. I am so grateful for my wonderful family and close friends, and I am grateful for the knowledge that I will see E.J. again one day. And even though this has been the most difficult time in our lives, the heart of life is still good!!


We wanted to make the shirts look like E.J.'s football jersey. The front says "Morningside Mustangs", has a football picture of E, and says "The Heart of Life is Good". On the back it has E.J.'s football number and it says, "Running for heart health and in loving memory of "The Boss".


My incredible family (we are missing Britt).

Some of the runners getting ready to take the shuttle.


Finishing the race!


I love these people!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

thats so amazing!

Nellie said...

Congratulations on the run! I am so impressed that you did a marathon and everyone else a half. What a strengthening time for all the family. I love the pictures. Wow, you had so many participate--and I love the tee shirts. Thanks for sharing. We love you....

Arfmann Family said...

Em
That looks so amazing. Sorry we had to miss it. Im sick of our crazy busy life. We are always thinking about you guys and love you.